LOGI-PI-2

Had a LOGI-PI on backorder with Farnell since christmas - understand the CE requirements, so no complaints.

However now Farnell have stsated LOGI-PI no longer stocked, and are pushing LOGI-PI-2 with same spec but at almost double the price?

What gives?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    HI Bruce,

Sorry for the wait! 

As far as we are aware the price will continue to be $89.  It must have been a mistake of them entering the prices in pounds rather tha US $.

The boards have now finished FCC/CE and are being MFGd.  We are pushing for the end of the month for them to be back in stock.  

Cheers!

BruceNaylor
  • [quote]It must have been a mistake of them entering the prices in pounds rather tha US $.[/quote]
    I think not because on the U.S. site the price is $101.79
    [url]http://www.newark.com/logi/logi-pi-2/dev-board-spartan6-xc6slx9-fpga/dp/38Y8590[/url]

Any idea what the real price is and if I can avoid the hike from Newark / Farnell?

• Hi There,

I believe that we are the ones who are set the MSRP and it is not in Farnellls hands.  We will ensure that you get the same price.  It may take some time to work out, but will be by the time they hit the shelves.

Cheers.
  • Ah, that's interesting.  I ordered a Logi-Pi-2 on 12 Feb because Farnell sent me an email telling me they were in stock, then they sent me a notification telling me it was on back-order and was expected to ship on 6 April, and the very next day an email telling me it had shipped!  Of course I don't have one.  However I guess 6th April is reasonable if you think you'll be shipping by the end of this month.  I also had the notification that the Logi-Pi was no longer stocked and was going to get a couple of boards made up from your Altium Designer files on GitHub.  If the -2 is real that'll save me the bother.

Is there any documentation anywhere, or is it functionally equivalent to the -1?

Trevor
  • Hi @tmbarton

It sounds like there has been a lot of confusion - sorry about that.  I have notified them that the current MSRP's are listed  in error and they are working on getting it fixed.  

I think that the email about no more LOGI boards shipping must have been in regard to teh version "1" which is not technically FCC/CE compliant.

Let me know if you plan on spinning your own board and I can ensure that it works out the first time.

I do have leftover R1.0 stock that I can ship with a nice discount, if you would like to get a board sooner than later.  You can email support at valentfx dot com.  

I will work on a getting a wiki page up that descrbies the differences from R1->R1.5 (going to be confusing with E14 calling it "2").  

* added gpio expander to allow i2c to control the fpga configuration pins rather than using Rpi GPIO
    * Added uUSB connector to allow additional power to be supplied to the LPi in the case of high powered applications
    * Moved the main Comm SPI pins off the of the fpga config/flash pins so that the FPGA can access and use flash while communicating with the Rpi.  
    * FCC/CE certified

Cheers.  

BruceNaylor
  • Thanks Michael,

I saw the R1.5 schematics in GitHub and wondered if they were for the -2 seeing as they are quite new.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll no longer bother with a board spin, it'll take as long as waiting for the -2 by the time they're assembled so long as it's out about the time Farnell/E14 say it is and anyway I won't have much time to get to it before then.  Also it's better if the developer makes some money from it!  Same for your offer of a -1 board, I'm happy to wait at this point.

Cheers,
    Trevor

• Any update on board availability?

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • Hi.  I would like to buy either Logi-Pi and then Logi-Pi-2.  I can not find any, anywhere.
    What is difference between them?
  • @tmbarton

The first boards off the latest MFG line have been shipped to e14/farnell.  The stock should be updating soon.  This is a small initial QTY, which will be followed shortly by a large amount of stock.  We hope to not have any further gaps in availability.

@myriaddev  I will post a formal doc shorty with the described differences.  The changes are very minor and we are calling the board R1.5 in our documentation to reflect this.  Perhaps we will call it "2" to avoid confustion with the E14 nomenclature, but we were unaware of the naming that E14 would use at the time.  

Brief breakdown of changes:
    - FCC/CE class B approved
    - micro-usb connector to supply any extra power needed that the Pi/bone cannot supply- the connector is PWR ONLY - not usb (did not want to add cost)
    - added i2c gpio expander to handle IO configuration of the FPGA - dedicated Pi pins no longer needed and can be used elsewhere
    - removed Pi SPI pins from the shared FPGA/Flash pins so that the FPGA can freely access flash and communicate with the Pi with no conflict
    - minor change to form factor - added B+/2 mounting holes (kept A/B holes as well)

You can see the full schematics on the repository under R1.5.  

Cheers.
    myriaddevtmbarton
  • Thanks mjones.  I pre-ordered Logi-Pi-2 for $101 for June 1, 2015.
  • Excellent news!

Hopefully my back order will be fulfilled in the first batch :)

Thanks,
    Trevor
  • Hi,

I have an order at Newark/Element14 for a Logi-Pi and a Logi-Bone. I will need to change the order to use the new stock number.

However, the price went from $80 to $94 and the expected delivery is 6/22 to Newark.

Is there any way to get one or both more quickly?

Thanks,
    Dale
  • Yay, just heard my Logi-Pi-2 has shipped from Farnell here in the UK.

Should be here tomorrow :)
  • @edtyler  - where are you located?  I will let E14 know about this.  I have previously brought up the price discrepancy - I will check again what the status is on this.  If you are not in the US there may be associated duties/taxes.

The lead time listed Is not correct as they currently have a small amount of stock and are receiving a large number of stock (400+) boards early May.

Let us know how any further interactions go with E14 and we will post ours with updates as well.

Cheers!
  • @tmbarton

Excellent!  Very glad to hear.  Please keep us posted on the received stat,etc.  

We will work on getting an updated image with the lastest tools to support the board today or tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • Am I the first person on the planet to get one I wonder?  Won't be able to fiddle with it till next week sadly.

2015-04-24 13.53.26.jpg
    800 x 600 - 140K
  • Congrats ! You got it so fast that the software support (the loader) is not totaly public yet ... Let me know when you start working with it so i can provide more direct support and get direct feedbacks.

Regards,

Jonathan Piat
  • @jpiat Ok, will do.  It'll be next week, but early on if possible, but I can wait if the loader isn't ready, plenty of other things to do.
  • The loader is ready and works, i just need to clean the code a bit to allow it to auto-detect between a rev2 logi-pi and a rev1 logi-pi.
  • I have chased Farnell today to ask buyer to change price on system.
  • For those who received their LOGI-PI2, the loader is available on the github. To install the new loader, clone (or pull) the logi-tools repository on your raspberry-pi, go to the unified loader folder and do :

make logipi_loader
    sudo make install

if you use a raspberry-pi version 2, add the PI_VER=PI2 option to make logipi_loader

• @jpiat

Hah, I've just got the version I took out of the dev_loader branch to download a bitfile successfully and now you release it :D

However I didn't use the PI_VER=PI2 make option which is probably why it complains that the Done pin isn't going high because of the address remapping on the PI2.

I'll try the relased version and the correct make flag later today.

Thanks,
    Trevor
  • The flag won't change anything in your case as the LOGI-PI-2 has an I2C expander to manage the programming port while the v1 was doing it in bit-bang (thus the mappin gof the GPIO different on PI2 and PI1).
    On you board even if the message done not going high appears, do you have the done pin slightly lighting and the design loaded correctly ?
  • Do you mean the LED?  Yes, it is lighting and not as bright as the others.  Yes, the bit-file appears to work correctly - I've only tried the flashing LED one as yet but the LEDs flash merrily away.
  • @jpiat Recompiling the released version with the PI_VER=PI2 flag builds a version that no longer gives the message about the done pin not being high, so works as expected.

The CFG_DONE line only has about 1.8V on it, hence the weak LED.  I guess it has an internal pull-up in the FPGA which is not strong enough to drive an LED?

Trevor
  • The done pins is only hi-z hence the 1.8v of the led. ISE can be configured to write a logic one (3.3v) to the done pin at the end of loading. I have disabled the done pin check in the code until we provide you the relevant information on how to configure your ISE project to get done to generate a high signal at the end of config (if you need it).
  • Ok re done LED.  I've now successfully built (using your tutorial) and modified and executed the LED demo using the ISE webpack software for myself rather than using the pre-built bit-file from you guys, so I'm as up to speed now as I can be for the moment. 

Next phase it to use it to actually learn to do some coding in VHDL.  This is to drag us into the 21st century, all the previous FPGA work we did used a very early version of the Xilinx tools and we drew schematics for the internals of the FPGA.

Good work, great little board, thanks guys.
  • Hi,

I am located in the United States. I just looked at Newark.com and they still show a price for their Logi-Pi-2 part # 38Y8590 of $94.06 and the expected arrival date of 6/29/2015. The show the same thing for the Logi-Bone-2 part #
    38Y8591$94.06 expected arrival of 6/29/15.

I have the old versions of both on order and want to change my order to the new items, but would like to get them for the original price.

Thanks

• Hi @edtyler  Sorry about the discrepency.  I have asked E14 about this and the latest reponse is the price will not be udpated until the stock is is received and in the system.  The latest ship date for the large stock (which will be placed in all E14/Farnell distribution locations ) is April 30 (tomorrow).  It will take some time to propagate through the system.

I am finding that E14/Farnell is a very very large machine, thus it takes a while for changes to propogate through the system.  Sorry for the hassle.

I will be posting a Version "2" change log on the blog and wiki in the next couple of days.  In short there are small chagnes in the way the FPGA is programmed from Pi and there is micro-USB for supplemental Power (power only).  

• Jonathan has created new images with updated loader for the "V2" LOGI boards.  The images are backwards compatible with the V1 boards as well.  We will be updating the links in the wiki as well.  

PS Seeed studio has stated that they shipped the final shipment of boards to E14 last night!  We hope to leave this gap of LOGI availability in the past and not hit that bump again!  

LOGI-Bone-2 LOGI Image
    LOGI-Pi-2 LOGI Image:

Cheers!