Getting started with Xilinx tools

The Xilnix download link points me to the Vivado ISE web-pack which states that the webpack is device limited to Zync devices.

Do I have the right tool ?  When I open the New Project wizard for both 2014.2 and 2013.14, I only see these devices listed:
 Virtex-7, Kintex-7, Artix-7 and Zync-7.  Will this still work with the Spartan-6 or did I take a wrong turn ?

I've searched a bit and this is the only package that I can find titled WebPack.

Comments

• Hi,

when you go on http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools.html you should download the full installer for your OS in the middle of the page. The license setup should be proposed after installing the tool. Can you share a screen capture of the tool you launched after installing ? Are you sure that you executed ISE and not the Vivado tool ?

Regards,

Jonathan Piat
    valentfx
  • I see this when I open the program list with no ISE module (see attached).

I see the ISE dl page, but the download manager doesn't start on my PC.  It stays as an empty window even if I wait a while.  I tried mainly with FireFox and then with IE.  The site hinted that I should be able to download other pieces once I installed the main program.

I'll try again later this weekend.
    Xilinx 2013-4 .PNG
    354 x 384 - 75K
  • Hi,

It never worked for me in Firefox. With the newer IE11, it seems that it has the same behavior as Firefox, it prompts you to download the file (rather than installing the Akamai downloader).

I would do the following. Start the download in IE. The go to Downloads in IE, copy link location. Then use Cygwin and wget to download the file using the link location. If the download interrupts, you can use 'wget -c' option in the folder (usually Downloads) with the partially downloaded file to continue the download (you may need to relogin on Xilinx website using IE again like you did when you started the download, and copy the new link location - and shuffle a few files around to prevent overwriting). I haven't tried a complete download, but seems to work. The download link is something from xilinx-ax-dl.entitlenow.com/akdlm/..., may be different for you.

Hope this helps. Your image is the Vivado kit, which only supports 7 series.

--C
    valentfx
  • Thanks for the info and especially the hint about IE11.

I normally use Firefox, so I disabled the security of IE11 and was able to download and install the ISE Webpack.  Using ISE Project Navigator(P.20131013), I was able to create a skeleton project for Spartan6.

So now I think I'm finally on course for the real learning. 

Thanks again,
    Mark