pong book examples vhdl

Hi:
Are there any simple instructions on how to use the various vhd files found in logi-projects/book-example-code/pong-chu-logi-edu-examples-vhdl.
For example; a file from ch01 list_ch01_01_equ.vhd. Do I simply load this to the Xilinx IDE?

Thanks

Jules

Comments

• Hi Jules,

I am working on a quickstart for the logi-edu and code examples from the pong chu book.  Sorry I did not have the ready earlier.  

In short, yet you will need to build the source code from  the logi-projects repository for vhdl or verilog.  Note that not all of the examples were intended to be built and run and were intended as code snippets for learning purposes.  The examples that were intenended to be run have  been ported for use on the logi-pi/edu.  Note that there are some minor changes that were required to be made in order to support the pi/edu.  Also there are a few examples that cannot be run that use SRAM on the old spartan 3 board that the book was written for.  Where the logi-pi does not have sram.  Though it is possible to create a sram-sdram wrapper if necessary.  Though there only  a couple of examples that use the sram. 

I hope to have the wiki page posted by monday.  

I have included a packaged zip file in the repository for each examples that are intended to be run in the book that can be run .  You can simply unzip the zip  file and load the .xise project with xilinx ise webpack, build the project, then move the bitfile onto the logi-pi as is layed out in the quick start guide and use the logi-loader to load the bit file.  

location for the ported logi-edu pong chu code:
  • Hello mjones:

Thank you for the info. I will look into this.

Jules
  • @jules - Here is the wiki page that i have started.  

I think I will create a new repository that can be pulled directly onto the pi with the bit files included.  This will allow users to directly load the bitfiles without having the build them.  Though it is a good exercise to build the examples.  

I hope to have it finished tomorrow.  Let me know what else might be missing.

Cheers,

Mike