running synthesis/routing on the cloud

I saw on the kickstarter pages that synthesis/routing would be supported on a remote server.  What is the status of this?  Is there a cloud service for this?  Are there license issues with running the free webpack tools remotely on the cloud?

Comments

• We have tested a prototype that is functional, but for now we failed to find an agreement with Xilinx to make the tool available to the public. We are still discussing with Xilinx on this to find a solution.
  • How does plunify.com do it? Do they have to write Xilinx a big check?
  • I don't think they run Xilinx software in the cloud.  They are only running their own software.
  • No idea of how plunify does it and if they have some partnership with Xilinx. The EULA of Xilinx for the web edition states that you can only use the tool for your personnal use which prevents us from giving access to cloud based tools.
  • The EULA is even more specific in that each copy can only run on one host machine.  I am mystified how limiting the software could help their business.  They should encourage everyone to run it everywhere in order to sell more chips.
  • This is why some people work in marketing departments for  EDA tools instead of an internet  company. Internet companies understand that spending a lot to acquire customer loyalty will pay off big in the long run. When an engineer has a problem then you want to be the first fpga that they look for as a solution.  Making them jump through hoops to use your tools is not the way to do it.

The web edition should be  bare bones but fully functional that can handle any part. Your professional tools simply do a better job with speed , density and features.

The web edition should also  be available via apt-get install.