Static IP setting

Is it possible to include conf file to change network settings on demand ?
I have problem to connect to beaglebone over DHCP ( it's not available by IT at the place I'm working at)
There some way to solve it by other way
Thank you

Comments

• Hi,

if you connect through USB on the beaglebone black, this will create a virtual network interface on which you can ssh. From this connection you can then configure the ethernet port ip setting to whatever you need. Another option is to create a sub interface on eth0 (the ethernet jack on the beaglebone black) with a static IP. Whenever you connect your beaglebone to the network, it will try the DHCP and in the same time create the sub-interface with the configured static IP address. The following rules (to add to the /etc/network/interfaces of your beaglebone) will create the DHCP interface and the static one on eth0 :

#DHCP interface
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

#sub-interface with static settings
    auto eth0:0
    allow-hotplug eth0:0
    iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 10.0.7.2
       netmask 255.255.255.0

Don't hesitate to ask for more help, if my answer does not fit your needs.

Regards,

Jonathan Piat
  •   Thank you for help.
    I was able to connect to BBB using default 192.168.7.2 IP after installing drivers for this board. 
    Sample .bit files included in Ubuntu image work fine. Followed by tutorial at Quick Start Guide at Wiki page I had created and compiled blink project. Load process works fine but nothing happens with both LEDs. 

I would say that FPGA is a challenging architecture ( it's good feature!!!! even for total beginners in microcontroller world like me  )) . Just looking at the amount of files it generates during creation/compilation for such a simple app.... hell yeee!!

• Hi jemzik,

Indeed there is a good learning curve to get things running especially if you are new FPGA and or Pi or Bone.  Hang it there as it is worth it!

Can you attach your blink.vhd project here and I can check out what the issue might be.  The easiest way to attach your project is archive it and then upload the zip file.  See attached image.

Cheers,

Mike

archive project.jpg
    447 x 426 - 51K
  • Attached another another simple project! same story  without success ! Had no time to dig dipper in to the other projects to compare code. 
    Thank you for your help. 
    zip
    zip
    blink.zip
  • Hi there,

I have attached the fixed project.  The problem was in the ucf file.  It was referencing pin locations for a previous board version.  This was not likely your fault as there was the image of the UCF file was from the old board version, though the schematic images were correct.  Also the ucf in the repos was still using the old locations.  I am working on updating all references to the latest board version.

I copied the ucf file for the latest R1.0 board into the ucf file of the attached project for your reference.  Additionally, you can always find the latest ucf files here.  

Sorry for the trouble and hope this getting your running!

Cheers,

Mike
    zip
    zip
    fb944ba0f6e8e675fc78342c2bbe54.zip
  • Thank you ! Works good! Really impressed by simplicity of vhdl language. Readable even at 5 o'clock in the morning after night party )