Differences in new boards

I was wondering if there were any significant differences besides making them compliant that the new boards have from the old ones?

Comments

• For the LOGI-Bone there are minor differences on the way the i2C GPIO expander is wired (the expander controls some of the programming interface pins) to allow a easier use of the configuration flash of the FPGA.

For the LOGI-Pi there is one major change on the way the FPGA loading is performed as it now has a GPIO expander just as the LOGI-Bone. This expander allow us to free from use some of the raspberry-pi GPIO and also a easier use of the config flash. The mounting holes were also made compliant with the B+ layout.

For the two boards, the SDRAM and GPIO expander are from a different brand. The two boards also have a micro-usb port for power only. This allo to
  • edited April 2015
    I have tracked down a vendor that has one of the older LOGI-Bones for sale. Is it worthwhile to wait to get the newer version that should be available soon? Thank you.
  • Hi,

I would be grateful if you could tell me how many GPIO can be used with the Loipi.

Is it just GPIO GEN2 and GPIO GCLK?

thank!

• Do you own a logipi v2 or logipi v1 ? On the logipi v2 you have GPIO GEN2 and GPIO GCLK connected to the FPGA (plus i2c, SPI and serial). On the logipi v1 you have all the GPIO connected (form the 26 pin connectors) but you should not used GPIO_GEN5 as it will trigger the loading of the FPGA. All the schematic are at :

https://github.com/fpga-logi/logi-boards
  • I have the R1.5 revision board. so the logipi v2 i suppose.

Can i use the i2c pins as standard GPIO? (i mean like input from fpga to RPI)

• The I2C pins needs to be configured as i2c to load the FPGA but could then be used as GPIO theroretically . The problem is that with the introduction of device tree in the raspberry kernel, all peripheral are configured at boot and and cannot be reconfigured at run-time.This still may be possible if you perform low-level access to the GPIO configuration (http://www.pieter-jan.com/node/15).
  • I tried but I had some troubles. I finally used serial pins.

thank!