Missing /dev/i2c-1

Hi,
I try to get my logibone working but fail. The /dev/i2c-1 seems to be missing,
as far as I understand it is the gpio expander on the logibone. The 
logi_tools install script will spit out 
Error: Could not open file `/dev/i2c-1' or `/dev/i2c/1': No such file or directory
as a image on a beaglebone black.
-- Thanks Konrad

Comments

• Hi,

if the i2c module is not loaded, there is a good chance that your LOGI-Bone was not recognized. Have you installed the logi-tools as directed on the Wiki ? If so you can check that the board was recognized by executing:

sudo cat /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots

if there is no mention of the LOGIBONE, there is a good chance the board was not recognized. You can also do a :

dmesg | grep LOGIBONE

to see if there was any event related to LOGIBONE on boot. Post these information in this forum thread so i can help you getting the board to work.

Regards,

Jonathan Piat

• Hi,
    I got a further: I was using the latest debian kernel from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian.
    The kernel suffix is "ti-r31". It  seems that bone_capemgr... is removed. I guess that 
    you need to specify the dtb yourself. 
    I then downloaded the bone63 image from http://valentfx.com/doc/logi-image/. There
    i2c-1 is defined. 
    I have to create a fpga load file to test weather it works now.
    -- Thanks Konrad

I wonder weather there is a unified dtb that models a beaglebone with
    logibone on top of it that I can use with the new kernels.

• This is a bit surprising as bone63 image is one of the latest kernel ... can you do a uname -a to have full kernel version ?
  • Hi,
    I've already reformatted the Card, but on http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Debian_Testing_.28jessie.29
    It is written:
    • 2014-10-29
      • Beagle/Beagle xM: v3.17.1-armv7-x3 kernel
      • BeagleBone/BeagleBone Black: v3.14.22-ti-r31 kernel
      • OMAP5432 uEVM: v3.14.22-ti-r31 kernel
    "v3.14.22-ti-r31" was wat "uname -a" will output.
    -- Thanks for the support Konrad

• You are right, the kernel for beaglebone black jumped from 3.8 to 3.14 and the cape support is moving slowly. It seem that only two capes have added support of 3.14. I'll make the move to this new kernel version ASAP.

Thanks
  • I have just installed the latest BBB image (2015-06-11) with the latest kernel
    uname -a output:
    Linux arm 3.14.43-ti-r67 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 4 20:37:18 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
    There are no mention of logibone in dmesg output, and no i2c-1 device. And furthermore, no capemgr.

Do you have any suggestion on what to try next?
  • Hi @hjalte

Have you run the "install_logibone.sh" to setup the eeprom with the correct device tree settings?

cd ~/logi-tools
     sudo ./install_logibone.sh 
  • Yes I did. It was this script which failed, with an error that i2c-1 didn't exist.
    I installed the latest BBB image (testing image with kernel version 3.14, debian 8.1 console version), fetched the logi scripts, which failed.

I will try on the older images, just to make sure that this is not a hardware issue.
  • Hi,

there was some changes in the earliest kernel that will prevent the logi-bone to work. For now you have to stick with the older (yet not so old) image we provide. The change that breaks logi support for now are in the cape management system that was removed and replaced by a static loading of the capes. There is hope that the cape manager will soon be able to handle dynamic loading of the capes.
  • Hi jpiat.
    I just flashed the latest _stable_ debian image (2015-03-01, debian 7.8), and installed logi-tools and apps, and got the blink LED demo to work! Great. Now I'm off to read/do Pong Chu's book :)

thank you for your explanations and help!