Grove Project

I started working on my Grove project. It will use the BB Green Grove connectors to manipulate external devices such as an antenna matrix. Part of that required a peek at the /boot/uDev.txt file.  Does that file get modified when a kiwi update occurs?

Comments

• Accepted Answer
    I took a look and did not find your /boot/uDev.txt but I did find /boot/uEnv.txt. That file enables capemgr for various capes, it would seem. Don't know if the KiwiSDR software edits this file or not. These are the only active lines in the file on my KiwiSDR.
    uname_r=4.4.9-ti-r25
    cmdline=coherent_pool=1M quiet cape_universal=enable
    cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=BB-SPIDEV0
    uuid=edfcb0d5-8128-41ef-a56c-ba206238018c

So I doubt the KiwiSDR software is writing to this file with each update, but maybe it does.

So tell us more about your layout for using the Grove project. Is it this kit, http://wiki.seeed.cc/Grove_Starter_Kit_for_BeagleBone_Green/ ?
    Ron
    KA7U

• edited December 2017
    my typo! Thanks

Regarding the grove kit, no. I bought individual pieces from Mouser, a selection of stuff but not much money. will surely report!
    KA7U
  • edited December 2017
    Ron

I am using this module to test Grove with and figure I can mod one to use as a relay driver http://wiki.seeed.cc/Grove-Chainable_RGB_LED/

KA7U
  • Further........

It looks like it is easy to convert the Grove-UART connector to act as GPIO. Some typos in the examples on webpages is thwarting me at the moment.
    KA7U
  • jksjks
    Accepted Answer
    The Kiwi code does not modify /boot/uEnv.txt but instead uses an older method for setting up the GPIO pins it needs.

Be very careful when editing that file. Make a backup copy in that directory. Certain mistakes will brick your Beagle. And the recovery method is annoying (USB or serial cable needed).

• I have found this and need to explore it some more. I have extra kiwis here so won't jeopardize my online one if I mess up!

KA7U
  • After installing seeedgrove from a .deb, this now runs and the Kiwi is still alive. Now i just need the right grove module

root@kiwisdr:/home/debian# seeedgrove
    Seeed Grove ++ command line tool
    -> version 0.0.1-1904
    -> build timestamp Jun 14 2016 21:20:32
    -> initializing...
    Command line usage:
      list_all
      list_detect
      list_address
      buzzer
      chainable_rgb_led [r g b | html_colour]
      temperature
      compass
      bb_detect
      bb_led
      bb_usb [on|off]
      bb_watchdog
      oled096 [on|off|normal|invert|all_on|all_off|contrast #|lock|unlock|scroll_start|scroll_stop|left #|right #]
      oled112 [on|off|normal|invert|all_on|all_off|contrast #|lock|unlock|scroll_start|scroll_stop|left #|right #]
      ledbar [on|off]
      button
      variable_led

• jksjks
    edited December 2017
    I have another version of that table that covers all the Beagle P8/P9 pins if the Grove UART pins are not on there.
    There is a similar one in the BeagleBone Black system reference manual (SRM): System Reference Manual

WA2ZKD
  • jksjks
    edited December 2017
    You should be able to figure out how to manipulate the Grove I2C/UART ports using Linux commands with the Beagle GPIO interface in /sys/class/gpio.
    There are tutorials on the net about this I believe.

Then you could add those commands to another instance of the antenna switch extension backend. This is the generic backend for manipulating arbitrary GPIO pins. It's just a shell script that the antenna switch extension calls: