Problem with running blink test. 'Init pin not going high!'

I have a new logi-pi-2 that I got today. I have tried two os versions: one I generated from the latest rasbian from rpi and the other is the logipi_raspbian_140620.img I downloaded. Both give the error in the title on trying to run the blink demo. Is there a different image to try or do I have a bad board?

Comments

• I'm having the same issue :(
  • I'm not sure all these steps are necessary, but I got it working:

Download logi-tools from github (https://github.com/fpga-logi/logi-tools)
    PI_VER=PI2 PI2=1 sudo ./install_logipi.sh
    sudo modprobe i2c-dev
    Use the unified_loader
  • edited June 2015
    Hi,

to install the loader, just downoad the logi-tools github repository (https://github.com/fpga-logi/logi-tools)

git clone https://github.com/fpga-logi/logi-tools.git

cd ~/logi-tools/logipi_loader

make clean

make PI_VER=PI2

sudo make install

do a : sudo ./install_logipi.sh
    modify /boot/config.txt with the following

dtparam=spi=on
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on

to enable i2c and spi. Then the unified loader should work. The correct link to download a pre-configured image is on the wiki (http://valentfx.com/wiki/index.php?title=Logi-Pi_Quick_Start_Guide)

http://valentfx.com/doc/logi-image/logipi/logipi_150429_2015-02-16-raspbian-wheezy.img.zip

For Full instructions on installing the logi_loader on RPi-2 see the wiki page:
  • Thanks for the response Jonathan. All I had to do was write the os image you posted to an sdhc and run it. The blink demo then worked.

Morris
  • edited June 2015
    I am having the same problem. From a new raspbian image have cloned the tools, run

sudo ./install_logipi.sh
    modify /boot/config.txt with the following
    dtparam=spi=on
    dtparam=i2c_arm=on

and /etc/modules has i2c-dev in it

result of ./sudo made_demo.sh is

Loader was compiled for PIB version 2 (quad-core version)

gpio configured 

file ./logipi_blink.bit opened 

bit file size : 340701 

Init pin not going high ! 

config success ! 

Blink LED App *************************************************************************

* DOCUMENTATION: http://valentfx.com/wiki/index.php?title=LOGI_-_LED_Blink_-_Project

* DESCRIPTION  **************

This is a "hello world" demo for the LOGI FPGA.  This is shows the functioning nuts and bolts of the Pi/Bone and LOGI FPGA.  An bitstream in loaded using the logi_loader and the FPGA begins to run.

* INSTRUCTIONS *************

Run the demo by running the make_demo.sh script:

sudo ./make_demo.sh

*************************************************************************************

have added power to the micro usb on the board incase it was a power issue, but no change, and no led blinking

• I hadn't specified PI_VER=PI2 PI2=1 before running the install script as the accepted answer didn't say you needed to - that has fixed it.

• edited June 2015
    HI @nickw

Thanks for pointing that out.  I will add this to the accepted answer.  I hope it's smooth sailing from here!  

I have also updated the wiki page with more detailed instructions for Pi-2:
  • I am having the same "init pin not going high" with the B+.
    what is version PI_VER=?
    for B+ 1.2
  • Hi @Rjim781

Are you creating your own image or are you using the pre-built LOGI image?

The PI_VER=2 only needs to be used when building the loader for the Pi2.  Otherwise you can leave this out of the make command and it will build by default for the PiA/B/B+

• What version of the LOGI-PI are you using ? Can you copy-paste the sequence of messages after executing the loader ?
  • Logi -Pi Ver R1.5.1  Using the prebuilt Logi

Pi is:
    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    model name      : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
    Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant     : 0x0
    CPU part        : 0xb76
    CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
    Revision        : 0010
    Serial          : 000000001eb1e5a0

Linux version 3.12.22+ (dc4@dc4-arm-01) (gcc version 4.7.2 20120731 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2458 - Linaro GCC 2012.08) ) #691 PREEMPT Wed Jun 18 18:29:58 BST 2014

gpio configured
    file ./logipi_blink.bit opened
    bit file size : 340701
    Init pin not going high !
    config success !
    Blink LED App *************************************************************************
    * DOCUMENTATION: http://valentfx.com/wiki/index.php?title=LOGI_-_LED_Blink_-_Project
    * DESCRIPTION  **************
    This is a "hello world" demo for the LOGI FPGA.  This is shows the functioning nuts and bolts of the Pi/Bone and LOGI FPGA.  An bitstream in loaded using the logi_loader and the FPGA begins to run.
    * INSTRUCTIONS *************
    Run the demo by running the make_demo.sh script:
    sudo ./make_demo.sh
    *************************************************************************************

• Hi @Rjim781

It appears you are using an older version of the logi image that uses loader for V1 boards and won't work with the V2 (R1.5.1) boards.  I have updated the wiki with a direct link to the latest image rather than to the directory of all images.   

The latest image runs this version of linux/raspbian:
    Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

Latest image:

You can either download the latest image or you can directly install the new loader using these instructions:

Let us know if this fixes things.

• Sweet! Blink and cheapscope going beauteous!

Must have mixed up the iso images!

Thanks

• Hi

I have a Raspberry PI B board. My LogiPi board is ver R1.5.1.

I have downloaded and installed the above mentioned latest image logipi_150429_2015-02-16-raspian-wheezy.img

During boot up when the Raspi config screen opens I have simply exited by selecting <Finish>

I executed the following:

cd logi-tools
    sudo ./install_logipi.sh
    cd..
    cd logi-apps/blink_led_app
    sudo ./make_demo.sh

Output:
    Compiled for LOGI-PI
    could not open I2C device: /dev/i2c-1!
    Cannot detect LOGI-PI with I2C-LOADER, switching to old bit-bang loader
    Board variant is LOGIPI_R1.0
    Bit file size: 340701
    FPGA did not answer to prog request, init pin not going high
    bitstream loaded, check done led
    Blink LED App.........................
    etc.

I have also tried the following without joy: (getting the same output as above)

Downloaded the latest (non logi) raspy wheezy image and cloned the logi-tools and logo-apps directory using git.
    Enabled i2c and spi and i2c-dev in /etc/modules 

Is this a faulty LogiPi/ Raspi board?

Thanks.

• In addition when I execute i2cdetect -y 1 the result is "Error: Could not open file 'dev/i2c-1' or 'dev/i2c/1': No such file or directory
    Executing i2cdetect -y 0 displays the usual matrix.
    How do I set up dev/i2c-1?

• did you enable the I2c in the /boot/config file and i2c-dev in /etc/modules ?

To enable SPI on latest raspbian distro, edit /boot/config.txt (as sudo) and add :

dtparam=spi=on

To enable I2C on latest raspbian distro, edit /boot/config.txt (as sudo )and add :

dtparam=i2c_arm=on

to the file.

also edit /etc/modules (as sudo) and add the line :

i2c-dev

• Many thanks.

I have tried all the solutions in the forum now without joy:
    1. Used latest raspi wheezy image with logi-tools and logo-app cloned from github, running sudo install_logipi.sh, changing /boot/config.txt as indicated above, added the line to i2c-dev in /etc/modules, adduser pi i2c and rebooting 
     2. latest Logipi-wheezy image and running running sudo install_logipi.sh, rebooting.

Could it be a faulty logipi board? There is no LED activity whatsoever except for the red power LED on the logipi when the app is run.

The raspi B board is dated 2011 - one of the first batches - could this be a problem?

Should the output from logi_loader be "Board variant is LOGIPI_R1.0" (should this not be 1.5 or 2?)

Are there some basic steps I am missing?

Thanks again.

• The "dev/i2c-1 not found" issue has been solved by using "dtparam=i2c1=on" and not "dtparam=i2c_arm=on" in /boot/config.txt
    however I still get the following message:
    Compiled for LOGI-PI
    Cannot detect LOGI-PI with I2C-LOADER, switching to old bit-bang loader
    Board variant is LOGIPI_R1.0
    Bit file size: 340701
    FPGA did not answer to prog request, init pin not going high
    bitstream loaded, check done led
    Blink LED App.........................
    etc.

• Can you try an i2c-detect on the i2c-1 bus ?
  • I just did a fresh install of raspbian et it worked out of the box. Here is what i get with i2c-detect :

sudo i2cdetect -y 1
         0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
    00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    20: 20 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                        

If you don't have the same output, your board is either faulty or not well-connected (check for bent pins or shorts between pins of the stacking connector).
  • sudo i2cdetect -y 1 outputs: (note no "20" at (0,20)):
         0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
    00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
    70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --    

Pins seem OK.

Still no blinking LED's when I run sudo ./make_demo.sh in /blink_led_app.

In the interest of time I will request a swap from element14 as I have the same problem on two Raspi B boards with the logipi.

Thanks again.
  • Please as a replacement to e14, the board seems to fail. Sorry about that.

Regards,

Jonathan Piat
  • I have the same problem jj777 describes and I ordered it through element14. looks like I have to get a replacement from them also.
  • Did you try what i advise in the other forum thread ?
  • yes I've tried everything in this thread and the other thread. I tried the image up on wiki and a clean raspbian and building from source directly with a Raspi 2 B.
  • I just tried the LOGi Pi 2 with a Raspi 1 B+ and I get the same exact error.
  • I wiped the card and reloaded it using the 2015-2-16 image on the wiki. Now it works with Raspberry Pi 1 B+. I think the problem is that I also loaded drivers for Dexter Industries BrickPi, which collided with the drivers used by LOGi Pi. I'll have to investigate why they're colliding and if there's a work around for it.

I'm going to try it with Raspberry Pi 2 B without any other software loaded on it and see if that works as well.
  • using the same SD card that worked on Raspberry Pi 1 B+, it also worked on Raspberry Pi 2 B.

I'm guessing it is the I2C driver that BrickPi uses, which is causing the issue. How exactly does LOGi Pi use the I2C and Spi?

thanks

peter
  • we use i2c to drive an IO expander and SPI to send data to the FPGA. I don't know how BrickPi drivers can interfer.
  • I don't know either, but I will investigate and try to figure it out. It was a good lesson, since I didn't expect the drivers for dexter industries brickpi to cause compatibility issues.